Coping is how we respond to adverse events and difficult things. Savoring is coping when things go right. Savoring is the process of attending to, appreciating and enhancing positive experiences.” A second order kind of reflecting back on or being conscious of an experience and how we might influence that experience either as we’re having it or after / before it occurs.
When can we savor a moment?
- Savoring the Future
- This is anticipatory – plans, goals, fantasies
- This can diminish actual moment when not lived up to, be careful and monitor expectations
- Savoring the Moment
- Be present and look at the present moment with gratitude
- Savoring the Past (reminiscing)
- Don’t substitute living in the past for the present though
6 Factors that influence the practice of Savoring
- Duration of experience
- Make time for it
- Create a supportive pace to savor, can’t rush it.
- Stress level
- It can be hard to savor things when we’re stressed.
- Depends on the context if adding elements to or taking them out help to savor a moment. Such as removing loud video games when watching a sunset or adding music to a family meal.
- Attention and focus
- Try to be more present in the moment being savored.
- Self monitoring
- We can’t force ourselves to enjoy things, you can check within yourself and be grateful. Rate your appreciation of the moment on a scale of 1-10.
- Social connection
- When you share a moment you are savoring with others, are they receptive?
4 Kinds of Savoring
- World Focused – experiences that connect us with something beyond our individual selves. 2 kinds:
- Thanksgiving, gratitude
- Marveling, awe
- Self Focused – experiences that connect us with something within ourselves, like our talents, our hard work, perhaps our personality, or our behavior, or something about our physical body. 2 Kinds:
- Basking, feelings of pride
- Luxuriating, pleasure
Have any thoughts, questions, suggestions, or comments on this article? Broken link? Wondering how to this can be applied, modified, or adapted to your polyamorous, swinging, kink/ BDSM, or otherwise interesting relationship? Feel free to reach out to me here.